We’ve all been there. That awkward moment during a wedding cocktail hour where you’re forced to make conversation with some random cousin of the groom you haven’t met. If you’re in the stressful throes of wedding planning, we’re here to help. Well, with icebreaker games, at least.
Keeping guests entertained is easy with icebreakers that help make your wedding day and cocktail hour fun and interactive. You can adapt them to fit any desired setting: funny, romantic, thoughtful, etc. To help get you started, I’ve put together a list of open-ended, nostalgic, word cloud, and ‘bride or groom’ icebreaker games. Watch as hilarity ensues….
Since people will probably be glued to their phones anyway, why not meet them where they are and put their screen obsession to good use! Poll Everywhere allows participants to respond in real-time via text or online submission, making it easy for your guests to engage with these icebreaker games directly from their smartphones. Still in need of icebreaker inspiration? We have you covered.
You can easily copy the icebreaker games into your Poll Everywhere account by clicking the questions below.
Don’t have an account? Easy fix! Create one here.
Icebreaker Games that Spark Conversation
- What’s the worst piece of marriage advice you’ve ever received?
- What’s the best piece of marriage advice you’ve ever received?
- What is your favorite (and potentially embarrassing) story about the bride/groom?
- How did you meet the bride/groom?
- When did you know that the groom was in love?
- How many children (if any) do you predict they will have?
- What is the groom’s weirdest personality trait?
- If the bride and groom had never met, what do you think they would each be doing now?
- What is the strangest tradition in the bride’s family?
- What is something about the groom that people would be surprised to know?
The best part about these icebreaker games is that the responses live on forever. You can export them as a PDF to send to your guests with the post-nuptial ‘thank you’s’, frame them and hang them on your wall, or just laugh at them for years to come. I mean, who would ever want to forget that uber-embarrassing story aunt Sally shared? Or the groom’s weirdest personality trait that everyone now knows of? I wouldn’t.
Icebreaker Games that Inspire Nostalgia
- What is your favorite memory of the bride/groom?
- Did you always know the bride/groom would get married?
- What was the bride/groom’s childhood favorite song?
- Who was the bride’s celebrity crush?
- Who was the groom’s celebrity crush?
- What was the first concert the bride attended?
- What was the first record, tape, or CD the groom ever owned?
Friends and family alike will enjoy getting to know both the bride and groom on a more personal level with these telling and nostalgic icebreaker games. Grandparents on both sides of the family will enjoy learning that the groom’s favorite record was The Beatles’ White Album while the little ones wonder what a record is. Guests can also bond over their shared adoration of celebrities like Drew Barrymore or John Stamos.
Pro tip: Time the responses to see who can guess the correct answer first.
Word Cloud Icebreaker Games
- Describe the bride in one word.
- Describe the groom in one word.
- How did you feel when you heard they were getting married?
- Where was the bride born?
- Where did the bride and groom go on their first date?
- If the couple was going to get a matching tattoo, what would it be?
If you’ve never created polls with word cloud responses, you’re in for a treat. Watch as people’s responses grow the more they are submitted. Hilarious responses are guaranteed with this one! Maybe the happy couple will be inspired to get a matching tattoo….
‘Bride vs. Groom’ Icebreaker Games
- Who made the first move?
- Who has more clothes?
- Who is the better cook?
- Who is funnier?
- Who is messier?
- Who is most likely to win in a fight?
- Who is most likely to spend their entire savings on a trip to Bali?
Friends and family on both sides can battle for the correct answers with these icebreaker games. This might even inspire some post-wedding rivalry between the bride and groom as they review guests’ answers to questions like ‘Who is funnier?’ or ‘Who is most likely to win in a fight?’.
Pro tip: Create clickable image responses with silly photos of the bride and groom!
Ready to uplevel your wedding game with these done-for-you icebreakers? Get started here.