An icebreaker question is only as fun as its responses. Give participants an equal, low-stakes way to contribute with Poll Everywhere, a live audience responses system.
Poll Everywhere coaxes participants out of their shells by letting them answer your icebreakers on their phones or devices – not in front of their peers. Everyone responds together, and the results appear live in your presentation as they are received.
Hear from the entire audience in the time it would take one person to stand and speak aloud.
All the fun icebreaker questions listed below are linked to a corresponding activity in Poll Everywhere. That means you can click on any one, then click ‘Copy activity into account’ on the following screen to copy that icebreaker to your Poll Everywhere account. Don’t have a Poll Everywhere account? Start for free today and present your new icebreakers in minutes.Start for free
Find the perfect format for your icebreaker
Choosing between this and that? Use multiple choice. Asking for suggestions or feedback? Use open-ended. Got a wacky photo or optical illusion? Use clickable image. No matter what sort of icebreaker question you ask, Poll Everywhere has the right activity type to get you the most responses. Different activity types let participants respond in different ways, and those responses appear in animated graphs and charts. And they all come with a full suite of styling options so you can blend them seamlessly with the rest of your presentation.
- I’m never gonna’…
- Saturday or Sunday?
- Who makes the best fries?
- Do you prefer tablets or books?
- What sound or noise do you love?
- What’s your #lifehack of the week?
- What’s the strangest word you know?
- In a word, what is your new year’s resolution?
- Rank these pizza toppings from best to worst:
- What is the worst birthday present you ever received?
Turn on anonymity if you need some privacy…
Maybe your fun icebreaker questions touch on some sensitive topics. Make the audience feel safe enough to speak up with the anonymity setting, available for all Poll Everywhere activities.
Anonymity is absolute. Once enabled, you won’t be able to match participants to their responses. No one in the audience will be able to determine who said what either. That data simply isn’t recorded when anonymity is enabled. And as you can see in the examples below, enabling anonymity displays a notification to the audience, letting them know that their responses are protected.
- Where are you from?
- What’s your favorite food?
- What’s the best way to eat pizza?
- Who is your favorite US President?
- What’s the title of your autobiography?
- How many health code violations can you find?
- How many hours of sleep do you get each night?
- How do you prefer to dance: alone or with others?
- Do you prefer to spend time with friends or family?
- What’s the most embarrassing haircut you’ve suffered through?
…or turn on screen names to tie responses to senders
If you’re presenting to a group that already knows each other – friends, colleagues – then part of the fun of any icebreaker is seeing who said what. Poll Everywhere has you covered with screen names. This setting is turned on by default, and gives each participant a way to choose who they are identified in your Poll Everywhere activities. They simply type in any name they wish before responding. Those names appear alongside live responses in certain activities, and are recorded for all results in your My Polls page.
- Would you rather it was…
- What vice could you never give up?
- What’s the best playlist on Spotify?
- Which foreign countries have you visited?
- What song gets you pumped for the weekend?
- What skill or talent do you wish you possessed?
- What’s your favorite question to ask during a job interview?
- Share something you didn’t understand about the world as a kid:
- What’s the most awkward question you were ever asked on a date?
- You accidentally dented a parked car, but nobody saw you. What do you do?
Moderation tools keep everyone on track
There are times when fun icebreaker questions can get a little too fun. If you want to play things safe – and curtail any jokers who might be too raw for your crowd – take advantage of the moderation feature. You can choose to automatically censor profane language, or personally approve each submission before it appears on the presentation screen. Moderation is available on premium Poll Everywhere plans. Check the Plans & Pricing page for details.
- The glass is…
- How are you feeling today?
- What is your American Dream?
- Which Harry Potter house are you?
- Name a word that rhymes with Orange
- What would you do with a million dollars?
- Describe your personality using ice cream flavors
- Rank the Fast and the Furious films from best to worst
- Describe a piece of clothing that felt painful to throw away
- Complete the phrase, “It’s like my mama always says, _____.”
Turn screenshots into shareable mementos
Don’t forget to save and share a screenshot of your fun icebreaker questions after your presentation is finished. To save a screenshot: go to My Polls, select an activity, and look for the ‘Export’ button in the lower right. Then send it out in a follow-up email to attendees. Poll Everywhere automatically records all responses for all of your activities on your personal My Polls page. Check back any time to see the responses sent to any of your activities.
- What was your favorite food as a kid?
- What’s an example of “Words to live by”?
- Do you think there’s life on other planets?
- Who do you wish would run for President?
- What’s the best thing on Netflix right now?
- What one thing really gets on your nerves?
- Which podcasts are you listening to right now?
- Who is your favorite person on Twitter right now?
- What do you enjoy doing outside of work or class?
- Which droid would you like to help you around the house?
Did you know you can also create and present Poll Everywhere activities in Slack? Get speedy responses to your icebreaker questions by meeting students or colleagues where they already collaborate. Spin up a question in seconds, and share the results with a single link. Just like the result of Poll Everywhere, it’s free to use for audiences of 25 or fewer.Get PE in Slack