Think you know your spouse? Well, The Newlywed Game is sure to put that to the test! Inspired by the 1985 game show, this interactive game of love is a fan favorite at bachelor/bachelorette parties, bridal showers, weddings, and date night. There are a few ways to play and they’re all equally hilarious.
Let’s talk about how to play and then dive into some fun, revealing, and downright difficult questions to include in your game!
How to Play The Newlywed Game
The Newlywed Game has been around for decades because of its simplicity and light-hearted nature. Everyone from Nick Jonas and wife Priyanka Chopra and best friends Amy Poehler and Will Ferrell has taken part in the festivities, and now it’s your turn.
The game is simple. Have the couple-in-question write down the answers to questions about the relationship, such as “who said, ‘I love you’ first?”. Then, the other person has to guess the answer. If they get it right, they get a point. The partner with the most points wins! If you don’t have any slips of paper or mini whiteboards lying around, you can also play the interactive game on your phone using a real-time polling software. Simply have the contestant pull up the questions on their phone or tablet and watch the results roll in.
Another way to play The Newlywed Game is with a group! Have the ladies leave the room while the gentleman answer a series of questions and vice versa. Then, whichever group gets the most points wins!
Lastly, a fun adaption to The Newlywed Game that couples often play at engagement parties or weddings together is The Shoe Game. The game has a similar structure, but each partner sits with their backs against each other with a shoe from each. Then, when someone asks the question, they put the corresponding shoe in the air. These fun wedding icebreakers will keep all your guests entertained.
Questions to Ask During The Newlywed Game
There are so many questions you can ask during The Newlywed Game and the questions you choose will dictate the mood. A mix of funny, romantic, and personal questions will get everyone to open up. Here are some of our favorites, and you can click them to directly add them to your Poll Everywhere account. Don’t have an account, it’s easy and free to get started here.
- Where was your first kiss?
- What did they wear on the first date?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that they do?
- Who’s a better cook?
- What is their nickname for you?
- Who is their celebrity crush?
- Who said “I love you” first?
- What would be their dream job?
- Who’s the better driver?
- What’s their go-to karaoke song?
- What was their first pet’s name?
- If they won the lotto, how would they spend the money?
- If they ended up in jail, what would it be for?
- Who has better handwriting?
- What would be their ideal date?
- What adjective best describes their mom/dad?
- What is their favorite fast food restaurant?
- What is their biggest fear?
- What is their most annoying habit?
- Who takes longer to get ready?
- If they could only use one word to describe you, what would it be?
- If they could only use one word to describe themselves, what would it be?
- What did they get you for your first birthday together?
The sky’s the limit when it comes to funny and revealing questions. Plus, you can change the types of questions based on the situation. If you’re playing The Newlywed Game at a bachelor/bachelorette party, you can have a little fun. If you’re playing at a shower and the whole family is present, you might want to shy away from the more personal questions. Either way, you’re sure to have a great time.
The Newlywed Game is a simple and fun way for the couple to get to know each other more and for the audience to get to know the couple more. If you’re planning on playing the game with multiple people or with an audience, a live poll is a great way to reveal the results as everyone plays along. Poll Everywhere is built for everything from educational seminars to The Newlywed Game at a wedding or engagement party, so check out our different pricing models to start playing today!